Saturday, September 23, 2006

It Can Only Happen In Hollywood: Number 1

Welcome to a new series on my ever-changing blog! In the 'It Can Only Happen in Hollywood' marked postings you will find me rambling about films and incidences in films which are so absurd they could only happen....you've guessed it....in Hollywood movies. Here's the first!

Mrs Doubtfire
Let me cast your mind back to the key moment of this film when Robin Williams, in full Doubtfire costume, is spotted whizzing standing up by his son Chris. At this point, the family's idyllic home life turns upside down as young Chris discovers his mother's heavy chested old housekeeper is infact, on first inspection, a pre-op transvestite.

Running around the house shouting 'He's a she, she's a he' a million times, Chris bumps into his siblings and attempts to explain the horrific sight he's just seen. However, Robin Williams rises to the occasion and reveals that he isn't actually Mrs. Euphegenia Doubtfire, but their father.

Now here's where my problem is. The two female children are ecstatic by the news while poor Chris refuses a hug by simply saying "it's ok, I get it". The film continues, all manner of highjinks ensue and the ending is relatively happy (ie. no one dies).

What the fuck?! These children have discovered that their father, already facing court battles to see them, is spending his days dressed as an old woman cleaning their house and they're not that bothered. If I were in their shoes, I fucking know I'd want to know what the fuck a man who is supposed to be a role model to me is doing trannying it up every Monday to Friday. Plus, I'm very sure he wouldn't get a fucking hug from me, the fucking weirdo.

Any normal person would sever all contact with their father if he behaved like this. There would certainly be no hugging and no 'i get it'. How can you fucking understand that your dad's dressed as a granny? It's a disgrace!

So there you go. I hope this has gone some way to convincing you why Mrs Doubtfire only makes sense in....Hollywood!

Until next time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Graphics since 19/08/06